on a personal and totally non political moment...

oh do I love me some Mexico...its funny, because I universally get the strange cocker-spaniel look when I say the beautiful girl and I are headed south of the border...look we know that Tijuana is dangerous for americans, anyone with money for that matter...I hear the horror stories out of Cabo and Acapulco...the kidnappings in Mexico city...but all I can tell you is my little eastern corner of Mexico...in the Yucatan...its all tranquillo ...the Mayan people are wonderful and welcoming... they endure us...they are not  phony ... not the smiling front desk of any hotel outside the US... we struggle but laugh through...their stumbling English...my halting...kitchen Spanish...lots of hand signals... me pointing at the money...cause after seven years I still can't count past fifteen...how some how i start using the handful of Italian and french words that slip into my mind when i can't communicate in English...the weather is bowels of hell hot...but strangely its tolerable on Isla...there is always a breeze...the water is so blue that you expect  that when you cup it in your hand...well you get it...so off we go...back to our sleepy fishing village with a beach chair problem...I hope that little Cuban place  with the ropa viejo is still their...pictures of Fidel and Che on the wall..mosquitoes the size of small birds...and the welcoming pit-bull at the door...maybe the ohm bar will be open...the waitress a model from Connecticut...who came for a weekend and stayed for a couple years...started dating a Italian guy...and was heading back to Rome to meet the familia... or the expats that spend every Wednesday eating chicken wings at the sloppy peso...the bar right past the blue rock ...through the hedge ...past the young unsmiling marina men...to the tiny deck sized bar on the edge of a swamp... there are secrets every where you travel...and in mexico they call to me...adios!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

irritation to this old man's sandy taint

on the role of white indignation

goodbye ted