like yesterday

We all remember where we were that fated morning.  I was in the doctors office.  Lots of old people around me, I mean I am in Florida.  There was a monitor sitting silently in the corner and usually Regis and Kelly would have been on.  But on this morning  as I lifted my head from the well worn issue of men's health I noticed the mouth a gape look of the folks around me.  I went from face to face around the waiting room.  Slowly realizing something was happening.  Something was desperately, horribly wrong.  I turned to the monitor to see just what was causing the horror I saw in their eyes.  These folks had seen some horror.  I fathomed that they were kids when Hitler and Stalin stalked the earth.  They had seen their children and grandchildren die in Korea and Vietnam.  Seen presidents and visionaries killed.  But the look was sheer terror.  One silver haired woman sat silently weeping, shaking her head.  I turned to see the first tower disintegrate into  Manhattan.  Replays showed the plane.  The doctor came into the waiting room, said we would all reschedule, to go home, be with your family. 
On the roadways I looked at the other drivers, horrified faces talking into cell phones, eyes bulging with the enormity of the moment.  I settled with my wife in front of the TV.  Switching from channel to channel looking for some sense, some hope.  As the evening came we started to get the picture.  The enormity of the attack.  The sense of dread that comes with all that loss.  There were going to be no survivors in new york. All that beeping from location markers on our brave police and firefighters, haunt me to this day.  What happened since in our country has been political in its scope.  Two wars, loss of personal freedom.  All reactionary, all conciliatory, most of all ridiculous.  We have quadrupled the losses in American life.  We have created a generation of children changed forever by the face of war.  But on this day of national mourning and remembrance we should cherish those we lost. see their bright faces.  Faces that made us all happier, ... and never never forget those brave heroes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

irritation to this old man's sandy taint

on the role of white indignation

goodbye ted