in pursuit of the elusive carrot

 So those of you that read this, the very few  who actually see me...know something is afoot.  There was the weird face book "roller coaster" entry.  There were some strange posts from me in Mexico without the beautiful girl, a wholly unspeakable act.  Very few actually know whats happening and just a few are instrumental in the happening. And so it is the great reveal.  I am, at the ridiculous age of fifty seven leaving this country to try my hand at running a couple restaurants on my "lovely island".  I realize that I am doing this at a time when most people my age are gearing down.  I keep in mind that Georgia O'Keefe didn't paint until she was in her eighties.  But I was always slow on the uptake.  I have been told that it took a very long time for me to grow up.  I still hold some reluctance to that point. That I have grown.  It happened with a friend. This  friend  runs a hotel, We met through a suitcase of school supplies. Us  paying for our incredible times on this tiny island surrounded by blue sky and bluer water with small gifts gathered from our respective bar and restaurant.
She shared my love of food.  She thought there was a place for someone with enough vision to see it through.
And there is a man... who's dream is to give the island more beauty and some refined charm to go along with those blue skies. He wants to give me all the tools to impact our isla with food.  He dreams of beckoning  people to the rocky shores.
They have enticed me, they have dangled the sweet carrot of expectation.  Know that  I have briefly glimpsed  this carrot before,  It has always been slightly out of reach and in some instances entirely out of view .  I have been promised the moon and ended up, well you know the drill.  But this is Isla... this is the tiny island that we have searched out for nearly a decade.  We travel by golf cart.  We collect sea glass.  We snorkel with nemo.  We have made great friends.  We have dreamed of getting old and grey, tanned and happy.  Eating tacos on the square, drinking pina coladas in the crystal blue water.  And so I will dream one more time.  I might taste that elusive carrot...but if i don't..if this is just  another kitchen...another chef's job. well at the very  least it will be in the most beautiful place in the world.  And I will get to live there for longer then ten days.  And that my friends is saying something and it could quite possibly be my first taste of carrot.  Sweet sweet carrot!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

irritation to this old man's sandy taint

on the role of white indignation

goodbye ted