and the fun keeps coming

so in august i was enticed..venture south..build a dream restaurant on a space that holds a dear, dear place in my heart... blue water and my food...looking out the windows of the space to the turquoise waters of the Caribbean...live in a Mexican town...challenge myself to be better
 it was all so exciting...
so complementary... after years of honing what I do, a chance to go somewhere far away,.. and push it.. to teach what i do to people where the language would be an issue... where the food, the intrinsic food of a region could be joined with what i do .. a .new kitchen , brand new equipment (only a chef  knows how exciting that is!!)  so a few plane rides and cocktails later i was on my way..there were promises made, but there always are...a handshake was exchanged..the only agreement that ever matters between two people committed to something as hard as birthing a restaurant... but
as it has in so many instances, the situation changed and the dream drifted away..the compensation was fine, the exit was as gracious as a dissolution can be...i think both parties lost face..i know i did..

but.. the story was only partly about the sad, and all to ordinary tale of restaurant dreams gone awry .. there were wonderful people, great new friends, awesome stories..day trips to markets and restaurants..incredible food..fantastic music..little luncherias.. barbecoas...and fish houses...there were festivals and holidays..a fantastic neighborhood full of children and families...late rides around an island with only moonlight to show the way...there were dawns so clear and brilliant that i stopped in my tracks just to believe i was there... such a fantastic experience, life changing, eye oppening. and all at 57...i surprised myself with my abilities and my shortcomings..in a word, awesome
 so for those of you you in mexico that made me feel so welcome..i say thank you and for all of my friends in the states and around the world... you worried, dreamed, wondered and wished me luck..their aren't enough thanks..i love you all..so where ever this life takes me, i carry you all with me and i am always at home!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

irritation to this old man's sandy taint

on the role of white indignation

goodbye ted