life on isla

so...i'm here once again...back on the tiny island, surrounded by deep turquoise sea...people speak a language, despite Rosetta stone..,  still so very fast and foreign to me...i'm trying to teach  a core of students, so eager to learn... but the teacher is speaking martian...sometimes I am really amazed that life's path has brought me here..i'm taken back twenty some years...  standing on a corner in tsai kung, china.. looking around the sleepy village...just 35 kilometers from Hong Kong..not a sign in English, and definitely the only person who looked like me standing on that street corner
I was an urbanophobic thirty something that never, ever ventured into Philly,... I never left the security of a pot smoke and hazy existence in Chester county pa.
please don't get me wrong
  it wasn't a bad life...life was easy, needs were met..I had a great woman to share my life with and a really sweet dog, lifelong friends were within a phone calls grasp...I played volleyball, built things and dreamed of being a famous artist.
china came as surprise,
terrifying and challenging
 a gift from\ a great friend who saw something or just maybe wanted my tiny world to grow...whatever the reason, I never  saw myself there or here for that matter...so now
.staying in an unused dive masters apartment...in a beautiful little marina, a tiki bar that watches a Mayan sunset,..
television monitors showing college basketball games by satellite from the states
life is full of curve balls my friends
swing for the fences

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

irritation to this old man's sandy taint

on the role of white indignation

goodbye ted