it's malicious

lets take a moment from my normal diatribe...a brief respite from my deep dyed ramblings about all things stupid or conservative...or in other words, republican...cause it has happened, and I knew it would happen, eventually.  like leaves turning their autumnal colors...like the air conditioning getting slightly warmer on my 12 year old truck or my sweet dog walking next to me rather than dragging my arm out of its socket when we go for a walk...it came on slowly, menacingly, until it finally, revealed itself in the mirror.  I am old.  I am older than I remember my dads last birthday party.  I am old enough to tell those stories that made us groan when our dads did it.  with the gray hair in my beard came with stories...the kids that work for me, all in their twenties...listen intently, I'm sure, about the days before caller id...when we answered the phone to see who was calling.  actually fighting with your sister so you could talk to the girl of the moment or getting grounded for using the second line your dad had to put in for business... just to get phone calls... the days of banks closing at 5pm on Fridays and not having any way to get more money until 9 am Monday morning...driving back from the jersey shore checking for change in every soda machine on the pike to pay the toll at the Walt Whitman bridge...and my favorite  The one that ranks right up there... with walking 5 miles uphill, in the snow... to get to school...is being the antenna for the TV...having to hold the rabbit ears so dad could watch a Phillies game on channel 17 and after getting it perfect, serving as the remote control for a television that only got 5 channels... unthinkable to these kids...his bootless foot, stabbing me between the shoulder blades, indicating change...and so now..56 and some odd months old...I am really the old man..I don't feel it, okay maybe a little...my niece says I tend to be grumpy...but I have hope that 60 is the new forty...I still like most new music ...okay some..I work out...something my parents generation didn't really do...but the guy, that guy in the mirror, the guy with the mind of a fifteen year old boy and gray hair sprouting like spring lettuce in his beard...may have to admit it...if you are old enough to admit that you if you  were born when Eisenhower was president and UHF meant something...you pretty fucking old

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

irritation to this old man's sandy taint

on the role of white indignation

goodbye ted