"all suffering and no salvation"

It came from the tube...A television show...But when I heard the line it struck me so hard that I found myself muttering the line all day.  I spent my time in the kitchen mulling over the context.  Still muttering, I drove home the sentence fragment hanging in my consciousness .  "all suffering and no salvation"
Life's struggles, the endless drudgery we all endure.  The heartbreaks, the obstacles the injustices of life that wear down on us.  The suffering.  Some people find the call of this misery and accept, possibly even nourish the malaise that life's journey can bring.  I have a friend, whose life at this point is hard.  Every possible fucked up thing that could possibly happen to this poor soul does.  It is like watching a reoccurring car wreck in slow motion.  And  it happens daily.  To be around this, to be their friend is to embrace "the suffering".  I have had periods in my life that engulf, no celebrate and rejoice in the "suffering".  So much awful shit has happened that I start to find the solace in the misery.  I except the endless string of shit as the norm and to stop being surprised by it's endless onslaught.  I welcome the regularity. I can count on its constancy. This must be the mindset that explains "all suffering and no salvation".  But as I drove home it struck me, "the salvation".  We must give our self the salvation.  There must exist in our hearts the possibility that things, our situation, can be saved.  Maybe its been a long day, or a month or a life, but I think the salvation is the key.  I can and have survived the suffering.  What I, we all need to search for is the salvation.  I am sure it lurks around every corner.  A bright patch of sky, a friendly smile, a kind word.  It may be a miniscule ort of a bit of nothingness, the smallest of a moment, but it is there.  It is the salvation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

irritation to this old man's sandy taint

goodbye ted

its bazarro world...